sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] cdrecord

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: <sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] cdrecord
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:14:37 -0800 (PST)

Bas van Gils said:

> Hi all,
>
> My 'dmesg' says the following about my cdrom:
>
> hdc: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048 kb Cache (UDMA(33)
>
> In the kernel we enabled the scsi-stuff for scsi-emulation. After
> booting, the cdrom does show up at /dev/hdc. So that seems to work
> (yay!). The problem occurs when I try to burn cd's. I casdted the
> 'cdrtools' spell and answed the question "do you use IDE burner?" with
> "no". After the spell completed I made an iso with mkisofs. No problem
> there.
>
> The output of "cdrecord -scanbus' is:
>
> 0,0,0 0) 'Y-E DATA' USB-FDU ' '4.01' Removable Disk
>
> When I try to write my iso (cdrecord dev=0,0,0 imagefile.iso) it gives
> me:
>
> "Device seems to be Generic CCS Disk. Sorry, no CD/DVD Drive found
> on this target"
>
> Now where did I go wrong? and better yet: how am I going to fix it? I
> *need* that burner to work...
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated
>
> Bas

Bas, didn't we get this working on IRC?

Anyhow, you'll want to load ide-scsi in /etc/modules so that your IDE
CD-RW is loaded as a generic SCSI device, which cdrecord requires. I do
not know what that USB-FDU device is, but I don't believe it's your CD-RW.

You'll also want to have the following appended to your kernel boot options:

ide-scsi=hdc (for regular dev)

Or

ide-scsi=cdrom0 (for devfs)

If you are using LILO, this should go in the 'append=""' area, where there
should already be "devfs=nomount". If you are using GRUB, just put this
on the same line as "kernel".

After you do all this (rerun LILO), you can reboot. Then do 'cdrecord
-scanbus' and your CD-RW should show up. You can still access your CD-RW
as a regular CD-ROM, but you'll need to go through the SCSI interface
(/dev/scd0 for regular dev,

Hope this helps,

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61