sm-users - [SM-Users] Problems with X/Radeon/GL/alsa

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: "Reapl Paratorn" <reapl AT reapl.net>
  • To: <sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Users] Problems with X/Radeon/GL/alsa
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 18:30:11 +1100

Howdy,

I have come back to the sourcemage fold in the last week since I got the
new laptop from the new job. I downloaded an ISO and installed away, but
I am getting a few problems. Was hoping someone might know some info
cause I havent been able to find much myself so far.

Btw: Using devel sorcery and grimoire

1. xfree86 options:
I get an error when compiling X with the GLU options selected. I
am in windows so don't have the log atm, but it was something to do with
"no register to spill in to". I have tried compiling with only P4
optismisation and nothing else, but that didn't work. Any ideas?

2. Now I think this GLU not working problem is giving me grief in other
areas.
kdebindings wont compile due to a missing QGLColorMap (again no
log atm). Now I have tracked this down to a component in Qt. I have
recompiled qt-x11 but still no class. I'm thinking it is detected some
missing GLU stuff and therefore not compiling it into Qt. Sounds
feasable when I havent been able to find out anything else. Any ideas?

3. glut won't compile
Now this is directly related to OpenGL stuff, so is this failure
also related to the GLU faliure? (again no logs atm)

4. sound levels arent sticking
I use alsamixer to change sound levels, I unmute and everything
works fine, until I reboot, then everything is muted again. I'm thining
this should be simple to fix, but atm I am brain dead.

5. hardware sound levels
and for one last thing. In windows on the laptop the IBM drivers
change the hardware volume levels when I change the windows volume
level. Now it seems the ALSA support doesn't do this, am I right? Cause
atm if I have the sound volume down really low in windows, when I reboot
to linux I get basically no sound even with everything on maximum. Any
thoughts (even a rtfm will be accepted on this one, cause I havent done
that as yet, just thought while I was putting stuff here I would try and
pull stuff from your brains)

So atm I cannot get kde3.1 or gnome2 to completely install on this
machine (IBM A31 laptop), which is a right royal pain in the arse.

Btw: there are some spells in the devel grimoire for kde that need their
versions bumped kdetoys/kdepim/kdeedu/kdeadmin, they were all still at
3.1rc6 when I updated about 5 hours ago.

Anyhoo.....doing this when tired isnt a good idea, too many things in
one email....but I hope someone can help.

Regards
Reapl