sm-sorcery - Re: [SM-Sorcery] Unique grimoire names

sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of Sorcery related topics

  • From: Martin Ruderer <martin AT lddd.org>
  • To: sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Sorcery] Unique grimoire names
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 01:07:47 +0200

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 22:54:39 -0400
Pierre Abbat <phma AT webjockey.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 12 August 2003 21:06, Martin Ruderer wrote:
> > That's really something that needs to be decided soon.
> > Do we want (and enforce) unique grimoire names or not?
>
> I'm not sure I understand. What's a unique grimoire, and how do you
> enforce its name?

Firstly, I'd like to show you what the grimoire name is. ;-)
e.g. GRIMOIRE[0]="/var/lib/sorcery/codex/games"
In that case the grimoire name is "games".

And the question is if we should allow multiple grimoires with the same
name but with different locations, for instance:

GRIMOIRE[0]="/var/lib/sorcery/codex/games"
GRIMOURE[1]="/home/martin/smgl/games"

If we want the names to be unique, we have to enforce it somehow, for
instance with an error at scribe add if the name already exists.
Or cast bailing out in that case, whatever.
(Should be discussed later, if necessary.)

The question arises with bugs like #2245 and #843.
They want some tools to be grimoire aware, like
"cast sylpheed --grimoire $GRIMOIRE"
The more convenient way is to let $GRIMOIRE be only the name, not the
path. I know these bugs are not really vitally important, but it would
be nice anyways. At the very least as an effort to chop our bug list a
bit. Still 55 bugs at least.

(Don't rant at --grimoire, there are other suggestion, but that's off
topic here. ;-)

--
Martin