sm-grimoire - Re: [SM-Grimoire] new init system

sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of Spells and Grimoire items

  • From: Geoffrey Derber <gderber AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: Geoffrey Derber <gderber AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: Grimoire <sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Grimoire] new init system
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:59:41 -0500

Geoffrey Derber wrote:
Okay, I've more or less gotten the new init system up and running on my system, but there are a few quirks I need help with.

When I boot my system, even though it's in runlevel 5 for default, I have to do the following things before I can get gdm to run.

cd /etc/init.d/runlevels/%S/
./keymap.sh start
./hotplug start
modprobe nvidia

neither init script, both of which are set as executable, are being run, also, when I start X, the nvidia module isn't being loaded, I have to manually load it prior to trying to start X, otherwise I get error messages about not being able to load the nvidia module.

Also, I'm using the devel sorcery, it's dated as 20030819, even though I tried to download it twice, once yesterday, then again less than an hour ago. I'm getting an error message for the init scripts to install.

"Usage: installscript <scriptname>" in every one I've tried so far.

Geoff

I found out the problem with keymap.sh and hotplug, though I'm not sure of a solution.

Even though in both scripts there is a NEEDS="+local_fs" they are both being run before mountall.sh. I tried removing the NEEDS="+local_fs" line, but that didn't work for keymap because keymap needs loadkeys which is install in /usr/ which I have a separate partition. For hotplug it worked perfectly.

Other issues, to be filed as bugs,
the uptimed script looks for uptimed in /sbin/, but the spell installed it to /usr/sbin/

Thanks for the tips with the driver. I never needed devfsd before, so I didn't know it was necissary for autoloading modules with devfs, that is probably the cause.

The only other issue,
it used to be the permission adjustment for the alsa stuff was done in the misc.sh script. Now how are we resetting those permissions, since it appears the alsa script is not doing it (maybe we should have the alsa script do it).

Geoff