sm-grimoire - [SM-Grimoire]Re: db-4.1.24 breaks exim, (patch included)

sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of Spells and Grimoire items

  • From: "M.L." <mlubrano AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: Lyon Lemmens <llemmens AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Grimoire]Re: db-4.1.24 breaks exim, (patch included)
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 00:03:32 +0200

On Mardi 24 Septembre 2002 22:55, Lyon Lemmens wrote:
> Mathieu,

Hi Lyon, hi all.

> the upgrade of db to version 4.1.24 broke exim (among other spells). The
> problem is the intraduction of a new optional transaction parameter in the
> DB->open function.
>
> I've added a patch for that to the exim spell so it will compile again.

Thanks... I'm glad to see SMGL community have talented hackers, capable of
patching things like exim :)

> I know it's not our business to fix the source code, so I also sent the
> patch to the exim developers. Until then, this works for those interested.

Right... I don't know if I would integrate your patch to devel grimoire and
make exim db 4.1.24 compliant or not, since it makes exim fork from the
official release...

So I've modified your exim spell to ask the user if he wants to apply your
patch or not.

> <soapbox mode>
>
> IMHO we (= all grimoire guru's) should better consider the effects of
> upgrading fundamental stuff (such as db really is) to the latest and
> greatest version. Chances are, that other open source developers haven't
> really adapted yet.

Same story with perl 5.8.x update, gcc3.2 update...
It's our strenght to be source based. It's our weakness to be source based.

> The db upgrade for instance, broke exim, Python, openldap, gaim, abiword
> and several perl modules as far as I can see.... Though some of them can be
> fixed by rebuilding. (Why didn't the fix phase of sorcery update catch that
> btw)

AFAIK it breaks postfix too... :(

> I'm getting to the point of being scared of sorcery update.... And with the
> release date only a month away!
>
> </soapbox mode>

Bye,
Mat.