sm-grimoire - [SM-Grimoire]db-4.1.24 breaks exim, (patch included)

sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of Spells and Grimoire items

  • From: Lyon Lemmens <llemmens AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: mlubrano AT sourcemage.org
  • Cc: sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Grimoire]db-4.1.24 breaks exim, (patch included)
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 22:55:47 +0200

Mathieu,

the upgrade of db to version 4.1.24 broke exim (among other spells). The
problem is the intraduction of a new optional transaction parameter in the
DB->open function.

I've added a patch for that to the exim spell so it will compile again.

I know it's not our business to fix the source code, so I also sent the
patch to the exim developers. Until then, this works for those interested.

<soapbox mode>

IMHO we (= all grimoire guru's) should better consider the effects of
upgrading fundamental stuff (such as db really is) to the latest and
greatest version. Chances are, that other open source developers haven't
really adapted yet.

The db upgrade for instance, broke exim, Python, openldap, gaim, abiword and
several perl modules as far as I can see.... Though some of them can be
fixed by rebuilding. (Why didn't the fix phase of sorcery update catch that
btw)

I'm getting to the point of being scared of sorcery update.... And with the
release date only a month away!

</soapbox mode>

--
Lyon Lemmens, grimoire guru perl-cpan
llemmens AT sourcemage.org

SourceMage GNU/Linux
"Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic"

http://www.sourcemage.org