sm-grimoire - [SM-Grimoire]Grimoire Guru Handbook v2.4 update

sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of Spells and Grimoire items

  • From: Eric Schabell <eric AT schabell.com>
  • To: sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Joel Mayes <bluebird AT optushome.com.au>
  • Subject: [SM-Grimoire]Grimoire Guru Handbook v2.4 update
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:33:05 +0200

Howdy all!

I have updated the guru handbook to reflect the decisions made about making
major changes in the Grimoire (after the sorcery problems/advances of the
last weeks together with gcc3.2... who is still rebuilding?). ;)

See section 3 for this new text:
Furthermore, to prevent large changes from shaking up the Source Mage distro
too much the following guidelines are in place to facilitate important
release changes that my enter your section. If a large change is going to
take place in your section (think of KDE, GNOME, gcc, etc...) then it will
need to be set up in advance.

This requires that the section guru contact the Grimoire Team Leader to set a
date for the big change to take place. This planning will be done between the
Grimoire Team Leader and the Project Leader and will result in FINAL release
dates being listed in the calendar on news.sourcemage.org, so you will all be
able to see them. If they slip, release is delayed until the Project Leader
can reschedule it safely.

Once again, MAJOR CHANGES to the grimoire (gcc update, kernel shifts,
xfree86, gnome/kde big bumps, basesystem shifts, etc) all MUST be scheduled.
Minor changes need not be. (Note: this is up to you as guru to decide what is
a major change within you sections).

If a change is needed to fix a critical bug, it can bump other items' dates
at the Project Leaders discretion. This could happen for example with 3.2 (to
fix mozilla and other 3.1 problems) or kerberos (security), or with sorcery.
We will try to keep things as free flowing as possible and after the 1.0
release the users should be moved off the Devel Grimoire as their standard
Grimoire. Once this happens then the Devel Grimoire will become a bit less
stern with regards to freely updating for testing.

With regards to News. I would ask that gurus submit news to the news page
(news.sourcemage.org) that pertains to your sections, anything you see fit to
post is welcome. This creates a bond with the users and fills out the content
with useful information.

Thanks for your hard work and keep it up, as we grow so do the steps we take
to release.

PS. Joel on cc to update spell! ;)

--
Regards,