sm-grimoire - Re: [SM-Grimoire]Cleanup (when no tmpfs)

sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of Spells and Grimoire items

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • To: Eric Sandall <sandalle AT hellhound.homeip.net>
  • Cc: Source Mage Grimoire <sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Grimoire]Cleanup (when no tmpfs)
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 22:48:16 +0400 (MSD)

cast::cast_spell(822) calls subroutines::rm_source_dir
on line 836 which does the job quite nicely already.
Calling it from POST_INSTALL is wrong because this one
is only called on _successful_ installation.

Eric Sandall <sandalle AT hellhound.homeip.net>:

> One reason I like tmpfs is if a spell doesn't compile
correctly, I can
> just do a "df" and see what directories are still
lying around after an
> update/cast.
>
> I remember someone saying that spells should not
clean up after themselves
> so that we can see what went wrong. I agree with
this, but if the spell
> finishes successfully, then the spell should clean up
it's directory.
> Thus, only spells with directories left in /usr/src
(besides linux*) would
> be uncompleted spells.
>
> My Q: If the spell doesn't finish BUILD, will it
still execute
> POST_INSTALL? If not, then there could be a
default_postinstall() in
> /var/lib/sorcery/subroutines which removes
$SOURCE_DIRECTORY, and custom
> POST_INSTALLs could run default_postinstall() before
their customizations,
> similar to BUILD and default_build(). If not, then
we'll have to think of
> another way to do this as I don't want the sources of
successfully
> compiled programs eating up my disk space nor do I
want to take the time
> to find out which directories I can delete by
checking if their spell
> successfully compiled or not. I want cast to do all
of this for me,
> automagically. :)
>
> Comments/questions/suggestions?
>
> -One of Three