sm-grimoire - [SM-Grimoire]Cleanup (when no tmpfs)

sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of Spells and Grimoire items

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <sandalle AT hellhound.homeip.net>
  • To: "Source Mage Grimoire " <sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Grimoire]Cleanup (when no tmpfs)
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:16:20 -0700 (PDT)

One reason I like tmpfs is if a spell doesn't compile correctly, I can
just do a "df" and see what directories are still lying around after an
update/cast.

I remember someone saying that spells should not clean up after themselves
so that we can see what went wrong. I agree with this, but if the spell
finishes successfully, then the spell should clean up it's directory.
Thus, only spells with directories left in /usr/src (besides linux*) would
be uncompleted spells.

My Q: If the spell doesn't finish BUILD, will it still execute
POST_INSTALL? If not, then there could be a default_postinstall() in
/var/lib/sorcery/subroutines which removes $SOURCE_DIRECTORY, and custom
POST_INSTALLs could run default_postinstall() before their customizations,
similar to BUILD and default_build(). If not, then we'll have to think of
another way to do this as I don't want the sources of successfully
compiled programs eating up my disk space nor do I want to take the time
to find out which directories I can delete by checking if their spell
successfully compiled or not. I want cast to do all of this for me,
automagically. :)

Comments/questions/suggestions?

-One of Three

sandalle AT hellhound.homeip.net | http://www.sourcemage.org