sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] RFC: ruby-3.1: Debundle gems from the main spell

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ismael Luceno <ismael AT iodev.co.uk>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] RFC: ruby-3.1: Debundle gems from the main spell
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 12:33:28 +0200

Hello mages,

Is anyone against this?

In general, with Perl, Ruby, Python, etc., we've had this sort of
issue where new modules get added which conflict with our spells,
or worse, fail to compile like in my current case (ruby-3.1 bundles
rbs which fails to build against musl libc).

It's always more practical to just disable bundled stuff. I've been
testing and I couldn't find any issue with this (other than missing
spells for the gems).

Is there any better ideas? should we do this for all languages?

Best regards.