sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Why is wxgtk-new at version 3.1? (wxWidgets confusion in general)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Why is wxgtk-new at version 3.1? (wxWidgets confusion in general)
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 13:19:59 +0100

Hi,

I tried to get things working on my box again and that includes some
stuff using wxWidgets. We have an unfortunate situation where even a
rogue wxwidgets spell exists in additon to the WXWIDGET providers wxgtk
and wxgtk-new.

I would like to fix this, as I'm also partly responsible for
perpetuating this mess. One obvious thing to do would be to drop the
wxwidgets spell (which is not in stable). But it actually is the more
sensible one compared to wxgtk-new: It is at a stable release version
3.0.x, not on the devel branch 3.1.x.

Is there any reason we should _not_ downgrade wxgtk-new to the proper
release version (and hopefully have more success building things like
wxperl … and have working audacity)? The downgrade itself will break
things unless we add some smart triggering detecting it. But it's
possible to do. And we don't break any upgrade from stable, which still
should be our focus … keeping the belief alive that there will be a new
stable grimoire eventually.

Alrighty then,

Thomas