sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] It's time for me to move on

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] It's time for me to move on
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 23:24:09 -0500

SourceMage and I no longer see eye-to-eye. It's not you, it's me. I've
changed. I used to love doing all the SMGL things. Now I just want to
build a box with chef, and never actually have to log into the box to
configure things. I want to declare how my system should look, and let a
tool take care of it for me.

I've learned a whole lot about how things work under the hood, but I no
longer enjoy tinkering with it. I do not regret learning all these
things, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Now, however,
I mostly just want to use it, and SMGL doesn't really give me that.

I'm resigning as Project Lead. I'll stick around and run one last vote,
to handle the election of a new Temporary Project Lead, I don't mind
doing that. I also will be around for as long as it takes to transition
stuff, not that there's a lot to transition, fortunately. I won't delete
any passwords I have in my safe until a year or two from now, just to be
certain.

This distro is one of the few that still doesn't use systemd, and that's
pretty awesome. I wish I had the time and the desire to make it more
awesome, but it's just not where I'm at right now.

Thanks for letting me lead you guys for the last several years. It's
been my privilege.

This can also stand as an official call for Temporary Project Lead
nominations as per our bylaws: http://sourcemage.org/Policy/Voting

PS: I'll be AFK over this weekend, celebrating a 10 year wedding
anniversary with my wife, and she deserves my attention :)

--
David Kowis