sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Popularity, visibility, and level of involvement

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com>
  • To: Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>
  • Cc: SourceMage Discuss Mailing List <SM-Discuss AT Lists.IBiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Popularity, visibility, and level of involvement
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 19:23:05 -0200

On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 09:47:33AM -0500, Kevin Monceaux wrote:
<...>
> If there were three things I could change about SMGL after stable being
> stable and the website, the way configuration options are handled would be
> the third. It's a pain answering a couple of dozen questions then realizing
> one of the questions should have been answered differently. While I would
> prefer a different approach, I'm not sure what approach would be better.
> Something like FreeBSD's configuration dialogs might be nice. Also, is
> there any way to go back and easily change optional dependencies in the
> future? I know most SMGL users cringe at the thought of Gentoo use flags.
> Gentoo is what I'm running on my desktop PC at the moment, and use flags do
> have some nice features. For example, if I'd installed several packages
> without SSL support and decide I want to add SSL I can turn on the global
> ssl use flag and then a single command would rebuild any packages that that
> use flag change affects. Is there any way to do something similar with
> sorcery?

In theory, it's possible for dependencies, but it has not been
implemented.

For options it's a little bit more complicated, it would need more
standardized option names, but should also be possible.

I'm now wondering where such commands would belong... I may have some
time to implement it in March.