sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Future plans on the progress

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Future plans on the progress
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 17:33:07 +0300

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 16:54:32 -0300
Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Feb 2015 13:23:09 +0300
> Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru> wrote:
> > I agree.
> >
> > Because "popularity" could put the distro in wrong hands, like what
> > has happened to Debian tech committee.
> >
> > Ismael, I suggest you to read all Hall of Fame[0] pages. Those will
> > try to reveal the true cause of SMGL existence and its niche. It is
> > also good to inspect them to understand why people liked SMGL as-is
> > and the way it was designed with.
> >
> > Personally, those pages have made my vision to SMGL's ideas much
> > stronger.
> >
> > SMGL is like OpenBSD -- it is a filter. And yes, nowadays being
> > popular means nothing but money; and that applies to almost any
> > sphere. It has nothing to do with quality or morality as well.
> >
> > [0] http://beta.sourcemage.ru/Developers/Hall%20of%20Fame
>
> popularity right now has
> a lot to do with survival in the long term

I agree on this. But the proper ways of gaining such popularity must be
chosen.

> We're definitely not like OpenBSD

You got my words too literally. By saying that I meant SMGL is like
OpenBSD in case it's an operating system by developers for developers,
for advanced and power users like our Intro[0] page says.

> they have something much better,
> it's a system in it's own right, they are their own upstream for a lot
> of things; we on the other hand just put a bunch of pieces together,
> and we should be doing a much better job at it.

Yes, especially now.

> And yes, it is in some sense about money, though not directly. As a
> distribution, we very very slowly approach a cold death. We can avoid
> it by making the decision to use SMGL easier for others, who besides
> some tiny and purely technical complaints, agree with our views.
>
> What are we going to do... just hope things improve magically, because
> if we intervene there _might_ be undesirable side effects?

Just do not change the Great Road laid by the Elders and our targeting
auditory, but instead attract this "proper" auditory by interesting and
clean development approaches we can offer along with a good face and
detailed documentation.