sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Future plans on the progress

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru>
  • To: Source Mage Discussion <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Future plans on the progress
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 01:32:45 +0300

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 18:34:56 -0300
Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 13:35:39 +0300
> Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru> wrote:
> > Hello all, once again.
> >
> > I see this year as a survival year for SMGL[0]. And Linux ecosystem's
> > conditions nowadays are on our side. So we should urgently move
> > forward to make ourselves visible for the world at this extreme point.
>
> +1.
>
> I took steps in that direction locally, but we need to do something
> more coordinated, with stands at expos and conferences.
>
> <...>
> > 4. The essential idea of the steps above is to announce our new
> > release on distrowatch and other Linux/OS resources to show us alive
> > and kicking. The more interested people as devs/users we will invite
> > on this phase -- the faster progress we will get on the overall
> > development in this advantageous moment of time.
>
> +1 to all previous points. Though about this point... I wouldn't
> expect much help, not right now at least...
>
> We're very far feature-wise from becoming popular. Pre-configuration
> and sane defaults for unattended usage, and binary packages are a must.

That depends. Many people think there are more important things they
liked SMGL because of. And those are already implemented in Sorcery
(and were, back in 2003-2005).

You know, reading is good sometimes, except always. Recently I've
reviewed a lot of personal pages of our former devs and transferred them
[0]. I've read every story, which describes how awesome SMGL is and
why. Some of them are _very_ descriptive. And I'm pretty sure 85
awaiting pages will say the same.

But our real big aim must be an article. An article or some huge
announcement (about the next release) on the public resources like
Slashdot. Someone should write it down. Urgently.

*A lot* of people discovered SMGL through just 1 (one!) post on Slashdot
[1] in the past. And we should work on this further. Even without
magepower.org we have enough places for PR.

> > Currently, I see a big problem in one component: our bug-tracker. A
> > lot of things (changelogs, release notes, HISTORY files, etc.) have
> > references to our old bugs. Yes. Those bugs in our bugzilla, which, in
> > my opinion, must be resurrected. And chili started the numeration
> > over. Which is a mess.
>
> Why not just replace the references with URLs?

What would be the difference?

> > 5. Recover all bug data from our bugzilla and transfer it to our new
> > bug-tracker. I see the possibility to run a fresh redmine installation
> > and move there the bugs we have from bugzilla and chiliproject. Of
> > course a lot of help will be needed during the migration process.
>
> Can't we make the content available in read-only form? Pre-render the
> whole DB shouldn't be difficult.

Yes, that might be a solution.

[0] http://beta.sourcemage.ru/Developers/Hall%20of%20Fame
[1] http://beta.sourcemage.ru/%2Bsearch?q=slashdot