sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Future plans on the progress

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru>
  • To: Source Mage Discussion <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Future plans on the progress
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 13:35:39 +0300

Hello all, once again.

I see this year as a survival year for SMGL[0]. And Linux ecosystem's
conditions nowadays are on our side. So we should urgently move forward
to make ourselves visible for the world at this extreme point.

1. Getting back to the mail of Thomas[1]. I'm sorry, I was too busy and
too inspired :-) Yes, that plan is active now. I have around 4 VMs on
Xen (both x86 and x86_64, running 4.1 and 4.2). So if someone is strong
enough for testing, feel free to ask for an access -- I'll prepare them
0.61-stable-ready where you would test 0.61->0.62 update and report back
and/or fix.

2. I set a date for 0.62-stable release around 23-25 of February. It
will have the same QA as we had before.

3. Technically I see it possible to roll out new ISO release (for now
I'd call it 0.11) with this stable grimoire (for both x86 and x86_64). I
can mark an approx. date for it -- 03.03.2015. It will contain an
updated kernel and basesystem utils without any significant changes.
The installer[2] we have now is good, and it reminds me of the OpenBSD
installer, which I define as the best.

4. The essential idea of the steps above is to announce our new release
on distrowatch and other Linux/OS resources to show us alive and
kicking. The more interested people as devs/users we will invite on
this phase -- the faster progress we will get on the overall
development in this advantageous moment of time.

Currently, I see a big problem in one component: our bug-tracker. A lot
of things (changelogs, release notes, HISTORY files, etc.) have
references to our old bugs. Yes. Those bugs in our bugzilla, which, in
my opinion, must be resurrected. And chili started the numeration over.
Which is a mess.

So the next step is:

5. Recover all bug data from our bugzilla and transfer it to our new
bug-tracker. I see the possibility to run a fresh redmine installation
and move there the bugs we have from bugzilla and chiliproject. Of
course a lot of help will be needed during the migration process.

----

6. After everything of the above is done, our next step would be
branch-merging. Yes, all those libpng, devel-xorg-modular, etc.
branches should be finally merged. I hope several of our mages have a
better progress on this than we had 2 years ago.

This is the most hard step, and it requires a lot of work to be done
before we start with it.

So let's get back to work!

[0] http://beta.sourcemage.ru/Intro
[1]