sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Lets merge some newer GCC into master

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Lets merge some newer GCC into master
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 18:51:08 -0300

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 15:55:45 -0500
Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Ismael Luceno
> <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 14:36:19 -0500
> > Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I'm not necessarily against it, but the reason why we are still on
> > > gcc 4.6 is because nvidia_driver has an issue with the version of
> > > xorg in test when compiled with gcc 4.7. Merging
> > > devel_xorg_modular would solve the issue.
> > > http://www.sourcemage.org/issues/376
> >
> > Though I would love to see xorg-devel merged to test at some point
> > too, it's not a priority for me right now, and I don't feel
> > particularly worried about breaking spells in z-rejected, even if
> > the bug is in xorg-server, as long as it doesn't break any driver
> > in test I'm fine with it...
> >
> > BTW, does it break nouveau?
> >

> Not that I'm aware of. That said, many people, myself included, prefer
> nvidia_driver over nouvaeu.

I know nouveau is definitely not at par with nvidia_driver, but IMO,
we need to do something about those spells that do not build because of
an old GCC.

I'm also very interested in seeing xorg-modular merged, maybe that
should go first, but it's a lot more spells to test...

> It's entirely possible that it is working now with gcc 4.8 and the
> latest nvidia_driver. That bug is over 2 years old. I don't have a
> box with the Xorg version in test to check however.

I don't have any nvidia cards around to test :/.