sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] C.UTF-8

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] C.UTF-8
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 11:18:07 +0000

I can do this:

sh# localedef -c -i POSIX -f UTF-8 C.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY: value of field `int_curr_symbol' has wrong length
No definition for LC_PAPER category found
No definition for LC_NAME category found
No definition for LC_ADDRESS category found
No definition for LC_TELEPHONE category found
No definition for LC_MEASUREMENT category found
No definition for LC_IDENTIFICATION category found

Disregarding those warnings, I can use LC_ALL=C.UTF-8 now and the svn
checkout works, but that is no proper locale. It doesn't use proper
numeric format, for example. I guess we need to dig into the debian
packages to see where the definition of C.UTF-8 comes from.

But, since sorcery for now happily inherits the shell locale also for
casts ... I have to wonder how opinions are on changing this. Shell
scripts can break in funny ways when you run them in a certain locale.
I'd prefer choosing C or C.UTF-8 (actually, would rather like enforcing
C.UTF-8, but then we'd need to remove support for non-UTF-8 user
locales to be consistent, I suppose).

Alrighty then,

Thomas