sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] libpng 1.6.7

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp>
  • Cc: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] libpng 1.6.7
  • Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 08:03:07 -0600

> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 2:45 AM, Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp> wrote:
>
> In any case, I think our best course of action for us now is to go the
> --as-needed route, at least in the short term. I've already been running
> with --as-needed in local sorcery LD_FLAGS on a couple systems. I've fixed
> a few spells, but mostly stuff just works. Though I have to say that I
> generally run pretty lean systems, so I would like to see more testing. I'd
> like to have sorcery have an as-needed option in the sorcery option/feature
> menu, which will default to off. Then if some of us will test it we can
> move the default to enabled and send out the word.
>
> When any serious sorcery development is going to happen we could also
> pursue the second option, which I think would still be a good thing to do.
>
> Regards, Remko

OK, as there might be several spells suffering the same behavior, and
there's no such a list, then what you're suggesting is actually add
"-as-needed" globally, into LDFLAGS, and recompile everything (sorcery
-r)?

The only problem is recompiling everythin, :-) That takes quiet
amount of time...

This would have, according to "ld" documentation, the benefit of only
keeping DT_NEEDED tags for libraries resolving undefined symbols. Not
sure if might have the side effect of missing any tag. See:

+++++++
--as-needed
--no-as-needed
This option affects ELF DT_NEEDED tags for dynamic
libraries mentioned on the command line after the --as-needed option.
Normally the linker will add a DT_NEEDED tag for each dynamic library
mentioned on the command line, regardless of whether the library is
actually needed or not. --as-needed causes a DT_NEEDED tag to only be
emitted for a library that satisfies an undefined symbol reference
from a regular object file or, if the library is not found in the
DT_NEEDED lists of other libraries linked up to that point, an
undefined symbol reference from another dynamic library.
--no-as-needed restores the default behaviour.
+++++++

Sounds like a good practice, right? If it is so, why isn't that added
by default by sorcery in?

/var/lib/sorcery/modules/libsorcery

If not such a good practice, why would that be?

Thanks,

--
Javier.