sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] some java questions...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: Robin Cook <rcook AT wyrms.net>
  • Cc: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] some java questions...
  • Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 11:20:46 -0600

On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Robin Cook <rcook AT wyrms.net> wrote:
> I have looked at it and cast both without any problems, though I already
> had icedtea7 installed. But the issue I see is you have a depends on JAVA
> but conflict with almost all the other java. If it requires a java7 to
> build then you need to depend on JAVA7 instead so that it won't delete the
> java via the conflicts.
>
> But it should also conflict with jdk7-bin because they are both creating
> the below link which will be deleted once jdk7-bin is dispelled thus would
> break icedtea7.
>
> ln -sfn icedtea7-${VERSION}/ j2sdk
> &&
> ln -sfn icedtea7-${VERSION}/ java7
> &&
>
> ln -sfn ${INSTALL_ROOT}/usr/lib/jdk$VER/ ${INSTALL_ROOT}/usr/lib/j2sdk &&
> ln -sfn ${INSTALL_ROOT}/usr/lib/jdk$VER/ ${INSTALL_ROOT}/usr/lib/java7
>
> That is why I had it downloading a separate java before so that it could be
> cast without depending on any other java.
>
> CuZnDragon
> Robin Cook

If you notice, the 2 links created on jdk7-bin are unnecessary. The
plugins have already been linked to the jdk$VER directory, so there's
no dependency on the created links.

So that's a way to solve the soft links issues. As I tested with old
icedtea7, I didn't realize it.

Something I supposed though, which is not necessarily true, is that no
matter the JAVA provider, we would have JAVA_HOME set for it, and the
binary providers don't include a java.sh for profiles.d, so at least
it has to be set by hand before, if not provided by its spell, with
the spell I provided...

One alternative is to evaluate JAVA_HOME, and if not present, then go
look for the presence of the directories that could provide it, to set
JAVA_HOME with it, and if none present, then kill the cast, and
suggest to cast JAVA7. Notice some path should be found if JAVA7 is
installed, :-).

Supposing a dependency on JAVA7 only, and that jdk7-bin gets fixed not
to create the unnecessary soft links, then it's a matter of adding the
JAVA_HOME evaluations to BUILD, before setting OPTS...

Thanks,

--
Javier.