sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] eudev

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] eudev
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 18:18:20 -0600

Today I found eudev has no issues for me whatsoever, :-) And there's
no need for the devpts init script either, :-)

See, the problem I had with the rules, is that for some reason, on old
udev, included 182, my renaming rules didn't need any action, so what
I had was like:

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ATTR{address}=="b4:99:ba:ee:f5:0b", NAME="in-wired-0"

With latest udev, all I needed to add was the action "add" (please
don't ask me why it wasn't required before, but it was working without
action before):

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="b4:99:ba:ee:f5:0b",
NAME="in-wired-0"

And now I'm getting the right rename on both x86-64 and x86-32.
Something to notice, is that now it's preferred not to use kernel like
names to rename devices.

The fact some filesystem were not getting automatically mounted, and
that the init mountall.sh script failed, didn't require any additional
script, but instead just to have the right udev.conf:

% cat /etc/udev/udev.conf
udev_root="/dev"
udev_log="info"

Which for some reason, though the right one in:

/var/lib/sorcery/codex/test/disk/eudev/udev.conf

It gets somehow overwritten when installing with NO content other than
comments. What the spell uses to install the configuration file is:

install_config_file "$SPELL_DIRECTORY/udev.conf" \
"$UDEV_CFG/udev.conf" &&

The solution is then to copy it by hand, and then not to allow
overwrite by the spell on confmeld. With the right config in place,
all automatic mounting with the regular init scripts are OK, and
there's no need for the devpts one.

With that, I just wanted to mention I have no issues with eudev, and
it's currently my default UDEV provider on both x86-64 and x86-32,
without added init scripts, :-)

Thanks,

--
Javier.

  • Re: [SM-Discuss] eudev, Javier Vasquez, 09/15/2013