sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] Fwd: [kmod + udev] new versions of kmod (5) + udev (182) under test break boot

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] Fwd: [kmod + udev] new versions of kmod (5) + udev (182) under test break boot
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 13:33:03 -0600

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us> wrote:
> On 5/24/2013 11:07, Robin Cook wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 May 2013 22:31:52 -0600
>> Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com> wrote:

> I also ran into this, but didn't have time to research as it was my work
> box and I needed it back ASAP. Just stayed on stable grimoire for a bit,
> but a recent update to test (this week) seems to have continued to work.
>
> -sandalle

Test reverted udev, so that's probably why you fond the issues gone, :-)

Any ways, in my case I was missing in the kernel auto-mount of the
devtmpfs, though devtmpfs was enabled. See prior e-mails in this same
thread... That can be passed through a boot parameter as well.

My guess is that the mount was provided by udev before, but is no
longer done. My other guess is the reason for this, :-) Perhaps in
favor of inirtd doing such task instead of udev, since all binary
distros use initrd now a days any ways, :-)

That was all, so at the end not really a bug, but such mount needs to
be performed by any utility (kernel itself) other than udev...

Currently I have kmod 12 and udev 182.

Interesting enough that's the last udev from upstream, since then they
migrated udev into systemd, then perhaps it'll be time to start using
the gentoo fork, :-)

Thanks,

--
Javier.