sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Any attempt to port for loongson-2f (lemote mini-pcs and netbooks)?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Any attempt to port for loongson-2f (lemote mini-pcs and netbooks)?
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 00:15:33 +0100

Am Sat, 21 Jan 2012 14:50:57 -0600
schrieb Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>:

> Can you "possess" a system with different arch? Debian mipsel for
> example is compiled with ABI -o32, which means pure 32 bits system.
> I'm looking for pure 64 bits with ABI -n64...

Then you're cross compiling already, but in the case of different
variants supported by the same CPU, you have the chance to make it a
bit easier by first building a kernel for the debian system that
supports both ABIs -- does that work for MIPS, like for x86-64 and
SPARC? I don't have experience there.

That setup of 32 bit debian with 64 bit kernel would still mean that
you need a build of gcc that produces 64 bit binaries, but it would
enable you to chroot into your proto-Source-Mage system and complete it
from within. The hardest part is getting over the cross compilation
step in any case, I guess.

> BTW, there's LFS for mips64-64:
>
> http://cross-lfs.org/view/svn/mips64-64
>
> And loongson community already provides flags (though they comment for
> the kernel, I'd guess they apply to every package):
>
> http://dev.lemote.com/trac/linux-loongson-community

Well... that looks like the way... get a basic system / toolchain
running with LFS and then install sorcery as package manger and reshape
the system into SMGL (be sure to post a basesystem chroot tarball;-). I
think everyone should at least once go through the LFS experinence.
Then you know what's inside (and what hopeless mess people add with
those "user friendly" desktops;-).

You'll have to update some basic spells for your arch, namely glibc (or
eglibc?) and the boot loader (whatever one that will be), and possibly
the linux kernel spell, but I must admit I still rather exclusively
build the kernel manually; it's somewhat outside the scope of package
management for me.

Generally, most spells should build just fine once you are inside a
native system (so no cross compiling). I was able to build and run
dosbox on the Alpha without trouble. Running JACK with firewire audio
required some patching but was possible, too.

The info collected by LFS should help in any case.

Alrighty then,

Thomas.