sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Any attempt to port for loongson-2f (lemote mini-pcs and netbooks)?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Any attempt to port for loongson-2f (lemote mini-pcs and netbooks)?
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:44:34 +0100

Am Fri, 20 Jan 2012 13:58:41 -0600
schrieb Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>:

> I'm wondering whether anyone in sourceMage has tried to make a port
> for these loongson based, and if there's instalable images or similar.
> If not then where I could start gathering information and how to
> start trying to make a port?

Well, a long time ago I did something vaguely similar by getting
SourceMage on Alpha boxes. But I took the easy route without a cross
compiler; starting with an existing Linux system installed on the box
and then possessing it with SMGL:

http://wiki.sourcemage.org/PossessGuide

A true initial port of the distro via cross compilation is more
involved, I don't know how well sorcery does cope with that, I remember
folks here playing with cross compilers, though.
The hard way would be going the http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ route
for a minimal system and then "possessing" that. But I guess starting
with a MIPS debian shoul be possible and the easiest route.

Alrighty then,

Thomas.