sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] latex missing from texlive

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] latex missing from texlive
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 00:45:01 -0400

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 12:34 AM, flux <flux AT sourcemage.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by "LuaTeX script", since there's no such
> thing (unless you mean a script that uses LuaTeX). The texexec on my
> system (the older texlive) is a shell script that consists of the
> following:
>
>  texmfstart texexec.rb "$@"
>
> texmfstart is in turn just another ruby script. I believe mtxrun is
> simply a newer replacement for texmfstart, but I may be remembering
> wrong. However, it really *should* work regardless of whether LuaTeX is
> installed or not (since MkII is not reliant on it). Please do check your
> log files to see what the specific problem is, and where/when
> specifically the problem occurs.

texexec on my system consists of

mtxrun --usekpse --execute texexec "$@"

mtxrun is indeed a replacement for texmfstart. The mtxrun source file
can be seen at http://source.contextgarden.net/scripts/context/lua/mtxrun.lua
. Perhaps I'm wrong by calling it an LuaTeX script, but it definitely
relies on LuaTeX. I do not know the reasoning behind this (it seems
silly to me as well). texmfstart.rb is still installed, so I imagine
you can still use that if you want. Perhaps we can provide that as an
alternative should the user not want to install luatex, but I'm
inclined to stick with upstream's decisions.