sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Bor Kraljič <pyrobor AT ver.si>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 08:57:46 +0200

On 29. of Aug 2011 21:01:41 Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be> wrote:
> On Monday 29 August 2011 19:24:53 Bor Kraljič wrote:

> > > I came up with this small script, to be run as UP_TRIGGERS in
> > > kdelibs4,after renaming it to kdelibs, and assuming that all kde4
> > > spells have the 4 removed from their names, where applicable.
> > >

> > > # handle renaming of kde4 spells
> > > echo on_pre_cast $SPELL dispel ${SPELL//4}
> > > LL=`grep :kde.*4.*: /var/state/sorcery/depends|cut -d:
> > > -f1|sort|uniq`
> > > for S4 in $LL;do
> > >
> > > SS=${S4//4}
> > > if [ $S4 != $SS ];then
> > >
> > > echo on_cast $SPELL dispel $S4
> > >
> > > fi
> > > echo on_cast $SPELL cast -c $SS
> > >
> > > done
>
> A slightly modified version
>

> LL=`grep :kde.*4.*:on: /var/state/sorcery/depends|cut -d: -f1|sort|uniq`
> for S4 in $LL;do
> SS=${S4//4}
> if [ $S4 != $SS ];then
> up_trigger $S4 dispel_self
> fi
> up_trigger $SS cast_self
> done
Good.
And with combination with PREPARE code:

if [[ $(installed_version $SPELL| cut -d. -f1) == 3 ]]; then
query "You are about to cast ${SPELL_COLOR}$SPELL${QUERY_COLOR} from branch
KDE 4. Do you want to procede?" n
fi

That makes possible that users on kde3 refuse to update and stay on kde3.
From
my point of view that is enough for protecting users from kde4 when we rename
spells.

> I used this to rebuild a lot of stuff on my system. The main problem was
> ensuring that all references to the old spell names were changed.
>
> > That will come in handy when we will rename all those spells. However we
> > still need protect kde3 users that don't want to upgrade to kde4. Some
> > check if first number of installed version is 3 the cast should bailed
> > out.
> >
> > And we also need to what are we going to do with kde3. I am leaning
> > towards removing all the spells from grimoire. But that is quite a lot
> > of spells to remove. Just removing all the spells and those which have
> > mandatory dependency on kdelibs3 and removing optional from other
> > spells. Come to think of it... Is there another way of removing such
> > large number of spells from grimoire ?
>
> I would be in favour of removing all the kde3 stuff completely. Give a
> prompt for the first update, so that the user can refuse the updates in
> order to keep kde3. Likewise for qt4/3.
OK. Lets try it. I will send email to ML with my plan/timeline of kde3
removal. And we will continue discussion there.