sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire splitting

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Bor Kraljič <pyrobor AT ver.si>
  • To: Jeremy <belxjander AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire splitting
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:27:42 +0200

On 31. MES 2011 19:28:26 Jeremy wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 09:13 +0200, Bor Kraljič wrote:
> > On 31. MES 2011 00:52:45 Remko van der Vossen wrote:
> > > Okay guys, here we go, the long awaited mail on grimoire splitting.
> > > have to warn you though, it'll be long. Sorry about that.
> >
> > Well long mail but I managed to read it. Ideas are nice! Realisation is
> > another thing.
> >
> > > First, let's look at some of the major problems we are having;
> > >
> > > 1. We have a lot of bitrot, a lot spells which have not been
> > > touched
> > >
> > > in ages, spells which are simply not updated, or spells of
> > > software which has been abandoned and left to rot.
> > >
> > > 2. We have a lot of spells which are updated haphazardly, with
> > > barely
> > >
> > > any testing, breaking a lot of peoples' boxes.
> > >
> > > 3. We have a lot of development going on in branches, which goes
> > >
> > > largely untested as there is no simple way for people to
> > > test these kinds of updates easily, leading to good
> > > development work wasted and left to rot.
> > >
> > > These are things that really hurt us hard. It hurts our users, which
> > > includes us developers, who are left with random breakages every now
> > > and again which consume time and cause frustration. It also hurts
> > > us as developers in another way, as it feels that our development
> > > efforts go to waste, either they are left to rot, or people either
> > > complain that nothing gets done, or they complain that you broke
> > > stuff. All of this leads, understanibly, to frustration with the
> > > distro, a feeling that we aren't going anywhere and a general
> > > apathy towards the distro.
> > >
> > > My idea to address these issues is to split the grimoire along
> > > various,
> > > flexible dimensions. Firstly, to address the first two problems, I'd
> > > like to split the grimoire along a quality assurance dimension. I'd
> > > like for us to have a core grimoire, which contains the spells from
> > > basesystem and the spells we include on our ISO. These spells need
> > > to work *at all times*, we need to have these spells working
> > > properly to make sure that ISO generation can be maintained without
> > > cauldron having to fix stupid problems everywhere, they need to be
> > > able to concentrate on actually generating the ISO.
> > >
> > > To guard this quality of spells in the core grimoire, I'd like to
> > > see us expand the spells in this core grimoire with proper QA
> > > scripting. This scripting should allow us to easily ensure that
> > > spells work properly, it should test casting of each of the spells
> > > from previous stable release as well as previous ISO release,
> > > although I'd like us to synchronise stable releases of this core
> > > grimoire and ISO, but that's something for later. But merely
> > > casting is not sufficient, we need to develop QA scripting to
> > > actually test the functionality of the installed software. Now,
> > > this is of course quite a bit of a task and I understand that this
> > > won't be done next week, however, if we split this core group of
> [...]
I agree that the end-result is OK. But how do you add that new grimoires to
user?

Let me explain. User has one grimoire (stable). It does "scribe update" and
now that stable grimoire is cut half of the spells is missing. We need to
provide that when user does that scribe update new split grimoires are added.
Perhaps not even all. Just the ones he needs.