sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] emul32

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] emul32
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 13:14:22 +0200

Am Mon, 01 Aug 2011 02:05:42 +0200
schrieb Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>:

> > Are there instructions somewhere to build it from source? I'd be happy to
> > update it myself, but I have no idea where to start.

Well, some time ago, I had to update parts ... but never really finished. To
build it, just start with a chroot tarball of smgl and cast stuff inside the
chroot. Actually, I'm using a full chroot environment as ersatz-emul32. For
some stuff, I have to actually enter the chroot (playing some game with
wine...), other stuff can just use the /lib and /usr/lib from the chroot in
the host system... just add the directories to /etc/ld.so.conf .

As I understand it, smgl-emul32 just packaged the library files out of such a
chroot. Oh, right, and it's important to add this link (well, smgl-emul32's
INSTALL does that):

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 17. Apr 13:25 /lib/ld-linux.so.2 ->
/opt/emul32/lib/ld-linux.so.2

You can run 32 bit stuff directly from the host system, but usually I prefer
entering the chroot (in a script), and perhaps a separate X server, to
prevent things from messing up (games with wine like to do that).

Alrighty then,

Thomas.

PS: Yes, I see how nicely this thread ties in with dkowis' fundamental
discussion.

  • Re: [SM-Discuss] emul32, Thomas Orgis, 08/01/2011