sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Reducing MySQL Spell Versions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Reducing MySQL Spell Versions
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:34:11 -0400

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 10:00 AM, David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org> wrote:
> I would propose the general default be:
>
> If a spell is going to significantly change functionality (major version
> change, removal of multiple spell versions), there must be logic in
> PREPARE that will check to see if they're making that version change (if
> it's already installed, or installed at an incompatible version) which
> will default to NO and require the Sysadmin's intervention to proceed.
>
> This way people's systems remain operational, if out of date.

I agree with David Knowis. Not everyone is subscribed to and reads the
mailing list. This may get messy down the road however when another
major update comes along, but we can't expect every user read the
mailing list, especially not busy sysadmins.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 9:11 PM, George Sherwood <pilot AT beernabeer.com> wrote:
> As with gnome and most other spells, I believe that
> when you cast the spell with the proper name, you should be default
> receive the current upstream stable versions.

This is slightly off topic, but I agree. I'm currently working on
making gnome 2 and 3 coexist and I am running into this problem. i.e.
the nautilus spell is for v1, while the latest is v3 and there is a
nautilus2 spell. What is the general policy on this? Based on the the
gnome2 spells it seems like the older gnome 1 spells were given
precedence in naming.

I've been giving the latest stable upstream versions the proper name
and renaming the old ones. i.e evolution is the gnome3 version, while
evolution2 is for the gnome2 version.

-Sukneet Basuta