sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Reducing MySQL Spell Versions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Haley <khoralin AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Reducing MySQL Spell Versions
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 12:23:55 -0500

I have been looking at the mysql spell recently for updating it to a more
currently version.

branches currently in the mysql spell are:
5.0.x
5.1.x

I would consider both of these versions as 'old' with the latest currently
available being 5.5.x. That being said, I am left with a question that I
thought I would post here to see what the general consensus is among other
developers and leads.

So, do I just tack on another branch to the spell, keep the number of
branches the same by dropping the oldest one and adding the new one, or just
do away with the multi-versioning all together and go with the latest and
greatest?

I can see the first path becoming a nightmare if things just keep getting
tacked on. The last path would be one that I am leaning towards more myself
On that note would it be feasible to keep the latest (5.5.x) in Test and
5.1.x in Stable? Seems like this also has the chance of causing heart burn as
you are dealing still with two versions across grimoires.

In any case, any input or suggestions would be welcome :)

---
David Haley (SilverSlayer)