sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] qt modules

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] qt modules
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 12:57:18 +0200

On Friday 13 May 2011 12:04:42 Eric Sandall wrote:
> [...]
> > Tarballs will released independently for each module.
> > All embedded libraries such as jpeg, clucene, phonon are removed.
> >
> > This means some major changes to the build process.
> > . multiple spells
> > . no need to specify --with-system-jpeg
> > . required modules can be added or updated independently
> > . much smaller downloads.
> >
> > I suggest that we create a new qt-modules section for this.
> >
> > Any spells which have a subdepends for some qt module should be modified
> > to depend directly on that module.
> >
> > This obviously includes all kde4 stuff, but that change is relatively
> > small, as it is at the section KDE_DEPENDS level
> >
> > There are also a number of other things which depend on qt4.
> > $ git grep sub.*qt4
> > audio-creation/qtractor/DEPENDS:depends -sub STL qt4 &&
> > chat-im/psi/DEPENDS:depends -sub QT3 qt4 &&
> > chat-im/qutecom/DEPENDS:depends -sub "STL EXCEPT" qt4
> > devel/qt4pas/DEPENDS:depends -sub WEBKIT qt4
> > ftp/valknut/DEPENDS: depends -sub QT3 qt4
> > graphics-libs/poppler/DEPENDS:optional_depends -sub "TOOLS" qt4 \
> > graphics-libs/poppler/SUB_DEPENDS: depends -sub TOOLS qt4 '--enable-
> > poppler-qt4'
> > http/arora/DEPENDS:depends -sub "WEBKIT EXCEPT" qt4
> > kde4-apps/amarok2/DEPENDS:depends -sub STL qt4 &&
> > kde4-apps/digikam4/DEPENDS:sub_depends qt4 SQLITE &&
> > kde4-apps/kchmviewer4/DEPENDS: depends -sub WEBKIT qt4
> > kde4-apps/kmymoney4/DEPENDS:sub_depends qt4 QT3 &&
> > kde4-apps/kphotoalbum4/DEPENDS:depends -sub SQLITE qt4 &&
> > kde4-apps/kraft/DEPENDS:sub_depends qt4 $KRAFT_DB &&
> > kde4-apps/quassel/DEPENDS:depends -sub 'DBUS SSL' qt4 &&
> > kde4-apps/rekonq/DEPENDS:depends -sub WEBKIT qt4
> > kde4-support/akonadi/DEPENDS:depends -sub DBUS qt4 &&
> > kde4-support/akonadi/DEPENDS: sub_depends qt4 POSTGRESQL
> > kde4-support/akonadi/DEPENDS: sub_depends qt4 MYSQL
> > kde4-support/libdbusmenu-qt/DEPENDS:depends -sub DBUS qt4
> > kde4-support/phonon/DEPENDS:depends -sub "DBUS NO_PHONON" qt4 &&
> > kde4-support/polkit-qt-1/DEPENDS:depends -sub "DBUS" qt4 &&
> > kde4-support/soprano/DEPENDS: sub_depends qt4 DBUS
> > kde4/KDE_DEPENDS: kdelibs4) depends -sub "WEBKIT DBUS SSL OPENGL QT3
> > TOOLS ACCESS" qt4 &&
> > kde4/kdegames4/DEPENDS:sub_depends qt4 'OPENGL' &&
> > telephony/telepathy-qt/DEPENDS:depends -sub DBUS qt4 &&
> > utils/strigi/DEPENDS: depends -sub DBUS qt4
> > utils/strigi/SUB_DEPENDS: sub_depends qt4 DBUS
> > x11-toolkits/qtada/DEPENDS:depends -sub "ACCESS OPENGL" qt4 &&
> >

> > I would suggest creating a devel-qt-modular branch.
> >

> > Any comments?
>
> We can certainly use a branch for testing the work, and a section for Qt
> might be good if we start getting more spells (e.g. x11-qt, or just use
> x11-toolkits if only a few spells (e.g. <10)).
>
> Are you planning on turning qt4 into a meta-package that then depends on
> all the split spells, and then we slowly work on updating the spells to
> only depend on the specific split spells they need (a la x11-libs change

based on the available repos (no tarballs yet), I would expect to modify the
qt4 spell to use qtbase, removing any depends which are no longer relevant
and
those subdepends which are now separate spells.

Then create the various spells for the new modules.
Finally change the depends of the small number of spells which have some
specific subdepends for a qt module.

At present I have git repos for:
qtbase
qt3support
qtdeclarative
qtmultimedia
qtscript
qtsvg
qttools
qtxmlpatterns

There are other modules; see <http://qt.gitorious.org/qt> but I don't think
that they are relevant to me.
qtphonon will not be updated in future, phonon* from kde should be used if
phonon is needed.

The biggest problem is likely to be qtwebkit, which is enormous and does not
seem to release tarballs.

Regards, Treeve