sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] April 2011 Developer Meeting

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] April 2011 Developer Meeting
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 10:44:17 +0900

David Kowis (dkowis AT shlrm.org) wrote [11.04.08 04:32]:
> I have coalesced (sufficiently, I hope) my thoughts on Sorcery 2 and
> some development/design goals on my wiki (since they represent my
> thoughts and aren't official yet):
> http://wiki.shlrm.org/SourceMage/Sorcery2/
>
> Consider it a topic of discussion on the agenda regarding Sorcery 2.
>
> David

Just to add some perspective on reimplementation, testing frameworks for
bash (and even in bash) are far from impossible. I've created a list of
projects that I am aware of that do precisely this, and all are
implemented in bash as well. The list is available at:

http://sourcemage.org/ShellTestFrameworks

If anyone knows of similar projects not mentioned, feel free to add to
that list. If I discover any others I'll add more myself as well.

I haven't implemented actual unit tests for the Cauldron rewrite yet,
but I'll definitely be getting to that soon (where soon is dependent on
when I have time to actually code). I have implemented some more general
tests though which would be the equivalent of compile-time tests if bash
were a compiled language (where unit tests would be more like run-time
tests).

The fact that one can write bash parsers in bash, and they are
relatively fast, along with the list of test frameworks mentioned above
(roundup claims it can do isolated testing as well, though I haven't had
time to properly evaluate it, or any of the other, frameworks yet),
should dispel any notion that testing in bash is a "no go".

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage