sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Duplicated spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Elisamuel Resto <ryuji AT simplysam.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Duplicated spells
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 22:33:37 -0400

On 4/11/2010 10:13 PM, Eric Sandall wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 19:59:23 -0300
> Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> libnet-perl == perl-libnet ??
>>
>> Shouldn't we have some kind of standard to avoid this?
>
> We generally follow how upstream calls the project (usually via their
> tarball name). That and developer's doing a quick `gaze search` should
> avoid most duplicates.
>
> -sandalle

I would prefer, personally, that language-specific spells would either
be prefixed with their language or at the very least, on the section for
the language. For example, we have xcache, but php-xcache would make
more sense as to what it is related to. Same with xdebug and a the
memcache pecl extension. Though in php's case, those would be either
php- or pecl-/pear- depending on their source.

Other distros follow prefixing perl stuff with perl-, which has saved me
trouble for searching packages for something I had forgotten.