sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] wondering about the grimoire branches...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] wondering about the grimoire branches...
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 18:03:39 +0200

Am Wed, 7 Apr 2010 10:52:00 -0500
schrieb Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>:

> The work is getting a given grimoire down to just what's being worked on.
> This still starts as a git branch, just one that is pruned of other things,
> unlike what's common now.

Yes... where I imagined the pruning happening only as postprocessing on the
git tree for tarball generation, not being checked in anywhere. Of course
some pruning that's compatible with working out of the git working dir would
help devs that want to work with multiple git branches as grimoires, too.

> This gets to be work because of the splitting of
> spell functions into lower- and higher-level files, but is necessary
> regardless with the way spells are currently structured. Theoretically one
> could make a dev tool similar to scribbler that figures out what files are
> needed for a given spell or set of spells and just keeps those in the new
> branch.

Oh, right... That indeed is a bumper: including all files a spell needs. Hm,
well, actually it's not such a big problem, when one keeps all section-level
files and just prunes the spell dirs.
But then, when indeed one of the section-level (or even grimoire-level) files
like FUNCTIONS changed, one cannot prune _any_ spell (of that section), even
if the change did only think about some specific spells...

Alrighty then,

Thomas.