sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] wondering about the grimoire branches...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] wondering about the grimoire branches...
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 10:52:00 -0500

On Mar 30, Thomas Orgis [thomas-forum AT orgis.org] wrote:
> There should be some generation of overlay grimoires that contain just
> the spells that a branch is concerned with.

Obviously, grimoires already "overlay" on each other. The issue is what's
being overlayed--specific spells or more things. That depends on what's in
the top grimoire.

> Most easy way would be publishing that as periodic tarballs just like the
> test grimoire.

The work is getting a given grimoire down to just what's being worked on.
This still starts as a git branch, just one that is pruned of other things,
unlike what's common now. This gets to be work because of the splitting of
spell functions into lower- and higher-level files, but is necessary
regardless with the way spells are currently structured. Theoretically one
could make a dev tool similar to scribbler that figures out what files are
needed for a given spell or set of spells and just keeps those in the new
branch.

Once you have that, publishing the grimoire is the same as anywhere else;
it can be git, it can be a tarball. One of these days we still need to
look at sorcery's support for grimoire distribution methods and make sure
it lines up with what we can easily host on our distribution nodes.