sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Abandoning Linux, and thus no longer a dev

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Abandoning Linux, and thus no longer a dev
  • Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 19:43:30 +0100

Am Thu, 26 Nov 2009 13:37:50 +0000
schrieb Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57 AT fastmail.fm>:

> Just posting to say goodbye, really. It's been fun, it's been
> frustrating, it's been hairy, but I can't say it's been worth it.

Interesting summary, and brave conclusion.

I, too, wondered about why I put up with doing so much work by hand with a
source-based system, where stuff breaks all the time. Or why I keep on not
throwing away old hardware and instead building a host of computers out of
that, causing further work. Well, people do things.

> wish I could, but Linux maintenance makes me feel like I'm losing an
> epic battle of fate with a _treadmill_. I'm abandoning general Linux
> and unix hackery in favour of fields where I can get more results for
> my efforts.

Out of curiosity: Does that mean that you leave the world of hackery and
rather go into the world of usery, installing some ubuntuan system and trying
to do stuff instead? Or are you leaving computing behind entirely?
Or... are you heading for the dark side? That would be a bit gross. Just
using Linux, especially when not being totally clueless, really does not have
to be a threadmill nowadays.

Alrighty then,

Thomas.