sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: git-able spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: git-able spells
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 17:31:43 +0100

I have one gripe with git spells... namely: branches. I am still trying to
get my HD3200 integrated graphics to do XVideo, and in the course of that I
am faced with drm and Mesalib spells that offer git and choice of git branch.
I think it is suboptimal that the tarball is always named the same way
regardless of branch it represents. Since stuff is not working for me (well,
drm isn't with the HD3200), I am suspicious of everything, including
wondering if switching branches works properly with the existing git snapshot
tarball from /var/spool/sorcery. The larger issue here is that I share the
spool directory via NFS and somehow don't feel good with one machine using
one branch and another machine another branch, both extracting the current
tarball and switching the branch it represents back and forth. Basically, I'd
like the branch to be part of the version "number" of the git spells... that
would solve the shizophrenic tarball, too.

A real fix would be to have some sort of named releases, even usable ones at
that, of course:-/

Alrighty then,

Thomas.