sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Spell quality checking

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Spell quality checking
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 20:43:16 -0500

Donald Johnson wrote:
> There's a couple of things that would help the documentation along: more
> people on documentation review. Possibly encourage the new dev smgl
> gets every so often to review what is absolutely confusing, what to
> read, etc., or even encourage outside power users to review our docs to
> see what in the world is confusing as well. Lunar has pretty fine docs.
> They are comprehensive enough to be useful to the user that wants to
> submit a patch. Perhaps we could use their documentation (since it is
> under the GFDL) to tidy up some of our documentation.

I have some questions:
What is the document review process? What specifically should they look
for? Is there any procedure to correct it? Is any procedure needed?

A document review process might be more than we want to get into, as it
implies a "release" for documentation, but that might be a good thing as
well.

> This little effort can definitely go a long way, especially if people
> keep local git branches and merge in the commits that seem to work A-OK.
> It's adding only a little extra work by reading the logs and running the
> program that the writer/maintainer would probably have normally.
>
> If anything, this should at the very least apply to content committed
> from unofficial patches to either spells themselves or patches to fix
> compilation.

It can help some, but it still doesn't allow us to prove that it works,
nor does it allow us to continuously prove that stuff works after new
commits or version upgrades. It's a one-off test, not worthless, but not
useful to improve the quality of the distro over the long term.

--
David Kowis
SourceMage GNU/Linux -- www.sourcemage.org