sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] HAL strangeness

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] HAL strangeness
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:29:33 +0200

My linux system has been out of commission for a couple of days. Everything
would freeze when entering run level 5.

Eventually I found an error message from xorg, refering to HAL. I then
discovered that hald had crashed.

I tried recompiling hal, dbus, etc. I tried different kernels. I tried the
git
version of hal. I enabled debugging in hal which generated masses of data,
mostly unintelligible. I did see some messages about the cd drives near the
end of the debug messages.

Finally I removed one of the cd drives. Everything now works again.
I suspect some sort of race condition with dual cd drives (1 sata, 1 pata)
and
a dual core processor.

--
Regards, Treeve