sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] X.org and evdev

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Ethan Grammatikidis" <eekee57 AT fastmail.fm>
  • To: "David Kowis" <dkowis AT shlrm.org>, "SM-Discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] X.org and evdev
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 15:28:49 +0000

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:26:16 -0600, "David Kowis" <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
said:
> Andra&#382; 'ruskie' Levstik wrote:
> > :2009-02-13T11:29:Eric Sandall:
> >
> >> For those interested in using the new X.org HAL hotplugging, you may
> >> want to read this:
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/EvdevInputDriver
> >>
> >> We may want to switch our default driver selection for input from
> >> xf86-input-{mouse,keyboard} to xf86-input-evdev, after much testing,
> >> of course. :)
> >
> > We don't provide a default driver selection per-se but might include
> > -evdev under the sane selection. But making it the only one no way.
> >
> > Not to mention all the issues people have been recently having with
> > evdev anyway.
> >

> This may trump that statement:
> "The evdev driver is the upstream driver of choice, and using it allows
> us to stay closer to upstream. Evdev not only allows separate
> configuration for each device, it also maintains these configurations if
> the device is added at runtime. "

I have a particular problem with the evdev driver right now. Because of
a different bug I often have to kill the X server. With old input
drivers no problems result from that, but if I use evdev the console is
left in an unusable state. This is with xf86-input-evdev 2.0.8.

I know others have had huge problems with evdev 2.1.1, while some have
have found 2.1.1 cures issues they had with 2.0.8. Is there any chance
of multiple versions of the spell being made available? The same applies
to the server, I and another mage had to downgrade to 1.4.2 because of
an absolutely insoluble problem that very few other people have. Given
that the X server is as essential as the kernel in desktop systems, and
that most do not have problems and would like to upgrade, I would like
to see some old versions of xorg spells being kept around in addition to
the main, regularly-updated spells. Perhaps a separate grimoire would be
appropriate for this?

--
This post brought to you by:
Ethan Grammatikidis,