sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New x86_64 ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Elisamuel Resto <samuel AT dragonboricua.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New x86_64 ISO
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 10:22:36 -0400

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 14:51:12 +0100 Thomas Orgis wrote:
> bad:
> bootup doesn't wait for usb cdrom drive, fails to find the disc to
> boot from

Justin will add a rootwait=10 to the kernel command line to help on
that one.

> strange: mountall.sh error in line 127. write error...

This is probably due to / being read-only.

> bad:
> hwclock.sh cannot find a clock, some driver issue, I guess (my newly
> configured kernel has it resolved, would have to look again to see
> what driver it actually is)

No /dev/rtc access? that works on the x86 ISO as far as I have seen...

> bad:network fails because no /etc/network/interfaces ... this is
> somewhat by design, but then we should disable the init script.
> Either disable or try dhcp. Or ask.

Perhaps making a few common interface (eth0, eth1, wlan0, ath0)
definitions and setting them to dhcp or making a special ISO-only init
script that sniffs /proc/net/dev and tries to run dhcpcd on the
interfaces found.

> strange:
> grub is not installed but grub config in /boot/grub is overwritten
> I did not install a boot loader since this is the second linux on
> that box, there's one already.

There should be no /boot/grub/ at all on a x86_64 system in SMGL, since
it cannot be built without hackery... lilo is the only option for us
right now. If it comes from /system.tar.bz2, it should be cleaned.

> dunno:
> /etc/hostname missing... we could provide a default there (echo
> set-etc-hostname-you-prick > /mnt/root/etc/hostname;-).

Should be mentioned on the post-install step?

> dunno:
> system groups ... should they be predefined? udev complains about
> missing ones in rules...

Probably the "firewire" group? I had udev whine about that one before,
didn't find a way to shut it up other than adding the group.

> strange:
> sorcery default config, on the x86-64 system is optimize for i486

Ooops... I do hope it wasn't built with that...

> suggestion:
> ISO kernel should be SMP, definetely for x86-64. It does not break
> the uniprocessor systems and you gotta search hard for a x86-64 box
> with a single core nowadays. At least there should be the option to
> copy prepared SMP kernel to the installed system. Rationale is that
> especially during sorcery rebuild, you don't want to use only 1/n of
> your processing power.

For x86_64 systems, this should be useful... since most modern systems
are multi-core nowadays. On x86 this cannot be done due to some people
still running i586 or lower systems.

--
Elisamuel Resto | GPG: 18615F19
samuel AT dragonboricua.net | Source Mage GNU/Linux Tome Lead