sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] IMP - Init Manager Program

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik <ruskie AT codemages.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] IMP - Init Manager Program
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:54:55 +0100 (CET)

Hiya and all that crap...

so yeah I finally got hit by some inspirational particle and wrote it
up.

First off what it is for those that don't know my pet projects:

Init Manager Program - as the name states it's meant to manage init.
Specifically it's a common interface to managing various init script
setups/systems/etc... So if for example one uses our simpleinit layout
it can manage activating/deactivating/removing/installing/listing those
scripts.

It has no installer(I'll work on it) yet but everything is there(install
script, remove script, activate script, deactivate script, list available
scripts, list installed scripts):

http://ruskie.dtdm.net/gitweb.cgi?p=projects/imp.git;a=summary
http://ruskie.dtdm.net/repos/projects/imp.git

What I need are people to test, provide patches, etc...
Installation itself is fairly straightforward put same named dirs into
the same spots in /.

By default it comes with a sample init which doesn't do much.

Specifically someone needs to port libinitd from sorcery to:

http://ruskie.dtdm.net/gitweb.cgi?p=projects/imp-data-simpleinit.git;a=summary
http://ruskie.dtdm.net/repos/projects/imp-data-simpleinit.git

I looked at it and am a bit lost.

What's the imp-data-simpleinit you ask. It's all the init scripts and
it's modules and it's definition wrapped up into one repository. Why did
I do it like that. Well if we ever start providing more init systems
it'll be hell on spells since each will have multiple scripts and so on
unless we actually get the init metadata stuff going. This way a user
is able to only install the bits he needs and then manage them. It also
allows users to setup their own init/monit/xinetd/etc... systems they
way they want them. I.e. maybe I like parts of the current init setup
but would like to do some stuff differently. This allows them to do so.

INFORMATION FOR CONTRIBUTORS

Few things that IMP should and shouldn't do:

- - It should NEVER query if it does it should respect --quiet for
autonomous operation.
- - It isn't a sorcery environment so if you need some specific functions
from sorcery put it into imp' core libs definitions. It needs to be
runnable without sorcery in case we get stuck with / only without /var
and so on.
- - If I forgot anything I'll let you know

IMP itself only expects the following functions defined somewhere in the
data modules(file names don't matter just need to start with lib: i.e.
liblist):

${INIT}_install_script $spell $script
${INIT}_remove_script $script
${INIT}_activate_script $script
${INIT}_deactivate_script $script
${INIT}_list_installed
${INIT}_list_spell $spell

As for the installer I'll write that up during the week and create a
spell since I need it to take into account INSTALL_ROOT and possibly
TRACK_ROOT.

- -- Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodies.
Ryle hira.