sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] castfs and dispel

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] castfs and dispel
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 12:09:49 +0100

On Friday 05 of December 2008 09:41:21 Fredrik Carlström wrote:
> I just had a nasty error in "make install" of glibc making my system
> unusable. This made me think that since I'm using castfs, this could
> probably have been avoided if the dispel of glibc was in POST_INSTALL
> instead of in PRE_INSTALL. Is this is right?
> If so, perhaps there should be a test, so dispel was moved to POST_INSTALL
> when castfs is activated, either on a spell to spell bases or integrated
> into sorcery.
Yeah, something like that is planned for the future (1.16 or later).

Core spells like glibc should be extra resilient to failure and this can all
be done in the spell itself. For example, make install could be tried already
in BUILD targetting some other temporary place to make sure it works. Or we
should be more conservative with the header choices.

LP
--
We cannot command nature except by obeying her. --Sir Francis Bacon
Have a sourcerous day! www.sourcemage.org

  • Re: [SM-Discuss] castfs and dispel, Jaka Kranjc, 12/05/2008