sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] We don't wanna cast the broken things, do we?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] We don't wanna cast the broken things, do we?
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 17:02:22 -0700

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 19:18:18 -0500
Robin Cook <rcook AT wyrms.net> wrote:

> Unless it was changed and I missed seeing it, test was never
> guaranteed to work. So if you are using it on a production system,
> then you need to take responsibility and only allow updates that
> won't break your system and not just expect sorcery -g will work with
> the test grimoire. If you need fixes, etc., before they get to the
> stable grimoire then there are tools for doing that rather than as
> you say, "being lazy".
>
> The whole idea of test was for testing to find out what is not working
> together properly and try to fix it, that includes downgrading it if
> that is the only solution, as there is no way one person can test
> every combination of programs together.
>
> I am following the procedure that has been used for the gnome section
> since 1.x to put the last beta/rc versions in test to find all the
> issues that I don't find in my basic testing. In the past the beta/rc
> versions weren't pulled into stable-rc or were reverted right after
> the branch. Not sure if there is an automated way with our git
> repository to exclude them automatically.
>
> That said I have no problem changing that procedure. But if that
> happens then I will have to demand that everyone stay out the the
> gnome section during the beta/rc/release time. So that I then don't
> have to screw around trying to fix a bunch of merge conflicts when I
> pull in the spells after the official release.

Correct, the only requirement to committing to test is that the commit
works for the committer.

As for what version of a product should be in test...I say leave that
up to the one doing the work. :)

Luckily, with git, we have easy options: branches. ;) Before, when we
were doing GNOME 1.x and such, it was more of a PITA, but now, branches
are easy to create, merge, and destroy. Perhaps we could make more use
of branches for intermediate changes like this, where a non-stable
version is being used to test before it becomes the new stable.

Fair?

-sandalle