sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Circular dependencies between spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Circular dependencies between spells
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 10:08:05 +0200

Am Tue, 26 Aug 2008 07:28:35 +0200
schrieb "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT codemages.net>:

> Sure it does... it will not break out of the box.

Yes...

> Also what kind of benefit
> does one get from glib2 support in pkgconfig... I mean after all all it
> does is read /usr/lib/pkgconfig files iirc

That's a bit besides the point, isn't it? We could just drop the dep
entirely, then... make a decision for the user...

Though I see that checking circular optional dependencies via if
spell_installed is a measure we should implement asap for the various
known cases... like this xorg ghostscript thing (still there with
modular, or not?).
Or, well.. actually, there it is more funny: The dep is mutually
optional between xorg and ghostscript.
So this check would disable it for both on the first cast, where only
disabling of one would be needed (preferrably the one of xorg on
ghostscript, since who ever reads these docs?).

I still think that the hiding of the dependency is not the final
solution to this, but it would be a measure to minimize breakage (it
should be hidden with a note given about it).
What about making a grimoire function for circular_optional_depends?
that way we have an easy marking of those and can modify the handling
in future easily.

What's nagging at the back of my head is the question of indirect
circular dependencies...

Alrighty then,

Thomas.