sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Fwd: Summer of Code 2008

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeffrey 'jf' Lim" <jfs.world AT gmail.com>
  • To: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Fwd: Summer of Code 2008
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:47:57 +0800

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 7:21 AM,  <seth AT swoolley.homeip.net> wrote:
> I'd prefer we not take Microsoft^WGoogle's money because I'm concerned
>  about strings attached.  Are you aware of any strings (such as
>  advertising or licensing) that might cause an issue?  If it's truly free
>  money, then that's another story, but I'm afraid if it's another case of
>  Google and Microsoft insidious subterfuge.
>
>  Has anybody done the necessary review of the conditions?

a brief "review" if i may (- http://code.google.com/soc/2008/tos.html for the rest who want to go through it) - under "Additional"

<quote>
All code created by student participants must be released under an Open Source Initiative approved license. Additionally, all code must be published in a publicly accessible location. The participant may mirror development on her/his personal infrastructure at her/his option. Use of project hosting on Google Code service for Google Summer of Code projects is subject to the Google Code Terms of Service.
</quote>

sounds good enough for me!!! NOTE: you only have to adhere to the "Google Code TOS" if you host *on* the "Google Code service".

-jf

--
In the meantime, here is your PSA:
"It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not help."