sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New development ISO available for testing

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <lynx AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New development ISO available for testing
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 14:34:34 +0100

I tried it in qemu and here is what I did if anyone is interested:
qemu-img create smgl.qemu 2G
qemu -m 364 -kernel-kqemu -boot d -hda smgl.qemu -cdrom
smgl-devel-20080209.iso
qemu -m 364 -kernel-kqemu -hda smgl.qemu

Observations:
Works pretty well. :)

Like it was said earlier, the kernel timings are annoying.

A coloured PS1 would be very nice.

Typing back outputs 3 blank lines before any relevant info. So does help and
todo (visible only on non-screenful texts). I guess this is from that cat
wrapper? It looks wierd to me and the colored prompt would help with
separation. You could also print one delimiter line, like *********** $step
*************. Or a title (like the bootloader step already does //boldly//).

Is it intentional that jump doesn't display the respective todo? I think it
would do better with the description shown.

For the bootloader step it would be nice to give the user a hint which kernel
will get installed / where to look.

Going back from the install-opt-spells returns you to grub, even if that
wasn't the previous step.

We should tell the user that they can exit the chroot at any time to check on
todo/help (since they aren't available in there).

After the last step, next wraps to step 1.

The default inputrc doesn't support incremental searching (or it uses a
different mapping - I'm used to pgup/pgdown). I think this is a spell "bug"
(there is no default so "bug", but we provide an example, which doesn't have
this).

I couldn't boot the installed system, but this seems like a qemu problem. It
eats all my cpu and seemingly stalls.

LP

--
We cannot command nature except by obeying her. --Sir Francis Bacon
Have a sourcerous day! www.sourcemage.org