sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] util-linux, coreutils, shadow ...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • Cc: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] util-linux, coreutils, shadow ...
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 03:40:34 +0100

Any particular reason in choosing the /bin/kill in coreutils over
the one in procps? I'm curious.
My assumption is that coreutils is always installed. Procps, on the
other hand, is not.
Unlikely as both are pulled in by basesystem.
Would be good ti figure out which of these installs the better kill
command/manpage and go with that...

My personal reason was that the last procps was released on 2006-06-25 and I usually prefer newer versions.
When I was trying to find out more info about kill I found Ubuntu bug [1], sb. prefers kill from coreutils because it supports "--" option.
On [2] you can see which packages are use for providing /bin/kill in some linux distros.
Seems SUSE, openSUSE, Mandriva use coreutils. Debian, Ubuntu use procps, ...

It is interesting (or just a bug) that Mandrive 2007 Spring use /bin/kill from util-linux and moreover /usr/bin/kill from coreutils [3].

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/coreutils/+bug/141168
[2] https://www.linux-foundation.org/dbadmin/browse/cmd_single.php?cmd=list-by-name&Cname=kill
[3] https://www.linux-foundation.org/dbadmin/browse/rawcmd.php?cmd=list-bydistr&Did=9

--