sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New (helpful?) pkg-config feature

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New (helpful?) pkg-config feature
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 15:35:00 +0200

On Tuesday 06 November 2007 08:20:47 Alexander Tsamutali wrote:
> В Tue, 6 Nov 2007 00:37:17 +0200
>
> Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org> пишет:
> > I've written a patch for pkg-config which adds the option to log to a
> > Unix socket. That means you can capture info about what packages a
> > configure script is looking for -- without ever having to modify the
> > scripts. You simply fire up a program that listens on a socket, set
> > the PKG_CONFIG_LOG_SOCKET variable to point to that socket, and
> > voilá: pkg-config will report the packages and versions requested
> > from it.
> >
> > Add to that some logic for matching pkg-config package names with
> > spell names, and you get a program that tells you what spells a
> > source package is hungry for.
> >
> > I've uploaded a tarball with the patch plus an example program to
> > demonstrate the feature. I'll highly appreciate any feedback. Get it
> > at: http://www.cs.uta.fi/~a445063/pkg-config-logsocket.tar.bz2
>
> I think this is a great feature but it should be used with care.
> Maybe quill can benefit from this? Btw. why are you logging to socket
> and not to the file? I think it would be simpler to work with log file
> than listening on a socket.

Thanks, I also think there might be something in it for Quill. But ruskie and
lynx can decide if they want to make use of it.

I chose logging to a socket because I feel it's a more versatile approach,
and
it seems to fit better into pkg-config. Of course when we're talking about
bash scripts then it's much harder to make use of a socket.

I'd be happy to code SMGL-specific tools to leverage this, just let me know.

> P.S. I remember T2 has some sort of dependency autodetection, but I
> don't know which technique they use. You can try and investigate their
> method if you want.

Do you mean t2-project.org? Looks like a meta-distro of some sort. Do you
know
much about it?

--
Juuso Alasuutari