sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] get_kernel_version don't return current running kernel version

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Brown" <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Philippe caseiro" <caseiro.philippe AT free.fr>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] get_kernel_version don't return current running kernel version
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 07:42:10 -0700

On 10/15/07, Philippe caseiro <caseiro.philippe AT free.fr> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 14:52:01 -0700, "David Brown" <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Is that the current version of the linux spell 2.6.23? If so this is
> > intended functionality and is used for upgrades of kernels so there
> > isn't the double cycle of build reboot and build more when updating
> > your kernel. You should either do one of two things, build the linux
> > spell using expert and put the correct kernel version in the text
> > field it gives you for 2.6.19 or dispel linux and make sure you are
> > running the kernel you want to build against.
>
> I have two installed kernels.
>
> An new 2.6.23 don't work
> An old 2.6.19 working
>
> If I understand what you mean, I couldn't have two installed kernels ?

Kinda what it means is you can only manage one of the kernels with the
linux spell at a time, and thus any external module spells at one
time. Like I said before the alternative is to dispel linux really
quick and rebuild the modules you want, dispelling linux doesn't
remove anything in /boot or /lib/modules.

Usually what I do in a situation like this is to use expert mode and
then let all the spells associated cast. Its nice cause with one
command you get everything you need, built against the correct kernel
(I make a very modular kernel that requires an initrd on most of my
systems).

Thanks,
- David Brown